Thursday, May 10, 2012

Real Texans don’t want to smell like longhorns.

It’s Thursday in Texas. The weather is BEYOND PERFECT (sunny, clear, 82°), Sam is out buying mulch and fertilizer for the tree in our back yard, and I’m in the middle of a laundry marathon that began about an hour ago with polo shirts, jeans, shorts and dark tees. In the event you seriously give a crap about this, the next three loads will include whites, sheets and bath towels. The folding party starts at 3:45 if you’d like to drop in. I’ll be serving Loma Linda fake hotdogs with Vlasic sugar-free bread & butter pickles and hot mustard. Come hungry!
My blood sugar numbers are lower today in case you’d like to know. Dr. M told me to continue my current protocol with Lantus (once-a-day insulin) for the time being and send her another email in two weeks. Yay, I guess.

And now for something completely different! To celebrate the fact that real Texans do NOT want to smell like longhorns I just ordered myself a couple of essentials (pictured below) that might interest you. I bought Maja (my favorite fragrance) on sale VERY VERY CHEAP from Overstock Perfume and a three-pack of Suave’s Everlasting Sunshine Body Wash — glorioski! a brand new scent! — from Amazon.
Sam and I watched a terrific movie last night ... Foreign Correspondent (1940) with Joel McCrea, Laraine Day, George Sanders and Herbert Marshall. This one’s an impeccable, four-star Hitchcock thriller set in Europe just before World War II and it’s one of my all-time favorites. You can watch the entire film for free on the Internet Movie Database. Popcorn is not included.
As soon as Sam gets back from his doctor’s appointment (probably around 1:15) we’ll be taking a drive to Terrell to eat hamburgers at Cole Mountain. This will be our first visit. Cole Mountain has a genuine Texas menu (steaks and barbecue) but their charcoal-grilled burgers get five-star reviews. A seriously tacky YouTube promotional video appears below along with a handy map.


Indicated above are: A) Howdygram headquarters in Mesquite; and B) Cole Mountain Restaurant in Terrell. I’m figuring it’s about 22 miles each way as the cow-pie flies.

Stay tuned for a restaurant review when we get home and thanks a million for reading this.

No comments: